LARES TREK CLASSIC
Lares Trek 4 Days is one of the most popular alternative treks chosen by travelers to Machu Picchu. This route passes through local communities, enabling travelers to witness how the people of the Andes have conserved their traditions. The scenery in this area is spectacular, with Andean valleys overlooked by soaring snow covered mountains, with flora and fauna of the Andes.
DAY 1: Cusco – Calca – Lares – Wacawasi
- • 6:00 Pick up from hotel and transfer by car to Lares
- • 7:00 Stop at the town of Calca
- • 9:30 Arrival to the town of Lares town
- • 10:10 Beginning of the trek
- • 15:00 Arrival at the Wacawasi campsite
- • 6:00 Breakfast at the campsite
- • 9:00 Arrival at the Ipsaykassa Pass
- • 9:30 Visit to the Ipsaykassa Lagoon
- • 13:30 Arrival to the Patacancha campsite
- • 6:00 Breakfast at the campsite
- • 6:30 Transfer by car to Pallata
- • 7:10 Beginning of the hike to Pumamarca
- • 8:00 Professionally guided tour of the Pumamarca archaeological site
- • 12:00 Arrival to Ollantaytambo village; break, also lunch and dinner. At night, you will go to Aguas Calientes by train.
- • 06:30 Breakfast at the hotel and bus transfer to Machu Picchu
- • 08:00 Start of the professionally guided tour of the Machu Picchu citadel
- • 12:00 Return to the Aguas Calientes village on bus. Train ride to Ollantaytambo. Finally back to Cusco city by car.
DAY 2: Wacawasi – Ipsaykassa – Patacancha
DAY 3: Patacancha – Pallata – Pumamarca – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
DAY 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
See more Inca Trail Tours or full travel packages with MachuPicchu.
GROUP SIZE2 - 12
Cusco – Calca – Lares – Wacawasi
At 6:00 am we’ll pick you up at the hotel and go by car to the Lares village. The transfer will take about 3 hours; we will travel through the Sacred Valley of the Incas and stop first at the village of Calca to visit the local typical market.
Later, we continue by car to the Lares village (3.260 meters above sea level – 10.695 feet above sea level), the starting point of the Lares Trek. At this village you can enjoy the hot springs to relax and then have a delicious lunch.
The first section of the hike will take about 4 hours, up to the first campsite. The path is quite steep for the first 30 minutes but it turns flat after; we will cross a small river and get to Wacawasi village. During the hike you will see people dressed in typical clothes including ponchos and hats. The campsite (3.880 meters above sea level – 12.730 feet above sea level) is 40 minutes away from this village.
Wacawasi – Ipsaykassa – Patacancha
After breakfast, there is an uphill hike for 3 hours to the Ipsaykassa Pass. This place stands at 4.450 meters above sea level (14.600 feet), is the highest point of the trek. The area is full of Andean animals like alpacas, llamas and sheeps, and typical shacks. We’ll have lunch at the Ipsaycocha Lagoon, 30 minutes away from the pass.
Patacancha – Pumamarca – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
The day begins with breakfast and next a 40-minute journey by car to Pallata. We will hike uphill for 45 minutes to the Pumamarca archaeological site where you will have a professionally guided tour. Then we take the old Inca Trail for 3 hours and next the path along the Patacancha River. Ollantaytambo village is our destination of day 3.
There we will have lunch and some free time to explore the village; you can visit the main square or go on a 1-hour walk to the Inca warehouse (Qolqa). Dinner will be at a local restaurant and then we’ll board the train to Aguas Calientesand spend the night at a hotel there.
Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
After an early breakfast at the hotel we will meet our professional guide to board the 25- minute bus ride to Machu Picchu. Once there, we’ll do the awesome professionally guided Machu Picchu Tour for about 3 hours; you will visit the Temple of the Sun, the Main Square, the Intihuatana or Solar Clock Stone and the Condor Temple among other great attractions.
Afterwards you will have free time to explore Machu Picchu by yourself and take many pictures. When you are ready, you can take the bus back to Aguas Calientes and later the train to Cusco where we will finally transfer you to the hotel.